Monday, July 8, 2019

July 08, 2019 | Posted in by Daiki | No comments

Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB Voice Recorder

Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB Voice Recorder

I ordered a 8GB recorder of a different brand, which could in no way connect to my PC. No way of showing in Windows 10 as a file folder. Changed cables, changed ports, read the docs. It just didn't work. I returned it and tried this one. This Sony only has 4GB of memory, but it works perfectly. No issue connecting to a Windows 10 PC. The computer immediately sees the device as a storage drive. Smart by Sony to embed the USB connector into the recorder, zero cable to mess with.

So far I recorded 3 hours and over 20 files of audio, and the battery is still showing full. 4GB is plenty of storage. Unless you plan on never clearing the device memory, I don't see the need for more.

Native microphone quality is OK. I also bought a small lavalier microphone and connected it by wire to this device. The quality is nearly studio quality, after running the sound files through a sound editing software to remove background noise.

The interface is intuitive, buttons are where they should be and do what they should do. This is the recorder I was looking for.

I've bought several other small digital voice recorders, and had problems with all of them. This one WORKS! It has lots of good features that make it easy to use. I'm starting to read the user's manual that came with it now, but I've been using it with no problems since I took it out of the box, it is that simple to use. I've transferred files to my computer, deleted files, etc. and have not come across a menu in Chinese yet! One of the other recorders that I bought (and subsequently returned) got stuck on a menu in Chinese and I couldn't get it back to English.

The buttons are laid out well and are easy to operate. There is a battery indicator on the screen at all times so that you can see when it's getting close to needing new batteries--no surprises. I record voice with it, and the speaker on the recorder is good, although plugging in headphones makes the voice even clearer.

Another thing that I like about it is that when you go to delete a file, it starts playing the file so that you are sure which file it is. Nice. It also would accept an external mic, and has a "hold" feature which locks out all buttons so that if you have it in your pocket, it will not be affected by inadvertent bumps.

If this one quits working I'll buy another one of these. Finally, I have one that works!

It record pretty well and battery lasts long as advertised. The only complain - a big one - I have is that when you play the recording, there is no option to go back to any point unless you have already set a track mark. Basically it's impossible to rewind some seconds or a couple of minutes to double check what you heard a moment ago. My job sometimes requires me to listen to the recording on the device on the fly so this shortcoming is a huge drawback for me. When possible, I listen to the file on computer which allows me to rewind or forward any seconds or minutes. I would give it 5 star if this feature is available on the device.

This recorder has worked very well for recording the rehearsals of a choir I sing in and helping me learn the music. I am very grateful that it allows me to add track marks, which makes it easy to go over (and over) parts that I need to work on and skip the rest. It was relatlvely easy to learn to use via the website. I like that it uses AAA batteries so it's not dependent on a non-replaceable battery's life. I'm only giving it 4 stars because while the automatic recording settings seem to work very well, the "lecture", "meeting", "soft music", "loud music" didn't record at a high enough volume to be useful, even when I changed the mic characteristics. It's a good thing the auto setting works. Note that the recordings sound good when I plug it into my car radio or boom box, but are tinny when played through the recorder's tiny speaker.

The sound quality is pretty good, but for the money it's excellent. And very convenient to use. Because it is so light and tiny you find yourself taking it with you in a pocket, just for fun. You can record anything, and people assume it's just a phone of some kind. I tried this and it worked: narrate some thoughts, etc into the recorder, and then play that file over the computer sound system. While running Dragon Naturally Speaking (I have just the Home version) put a microphone up to the computer speaker. Dragon will transcribe what was recorded pretty well. So that's a way to use this cheap recorder and the cheap version of Dragon to automate transcription of your recorded musings.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Built-in, Direct USB connection for quick file transfer to your PC
  • Expand your memory with the micro SD card slot
  • Up to 55 hours of battery life for extended recording
  • Adjustable microphone range for clearer voices
  • Auto voice recording reduces background noise
  • In the box: IC Recorder, size AAA alkaline batteries (2), Operating Instructions, Warranty card

Description

Record sounds and voices in superior clarity with this stereo digital voice recorder featuring built-in USB for easy file transfer and expandable memory to capture every second. Enjoy up to 55 hours of battery life and adjustable microphone settings, Plus auto voice recording that reduces background noise so you can always hear what's being said. Input Output Terminals: [PC I/F] Hi-Speed USB [Input] Stereo Mic-in jack [Output] Stereo Earphone jack



Love it. Bought this model for three reasons:
1) Be able to set track marks during recording and be able to quickly rewind to several seconds or minutes before any one of the marks to rehear it again and again
The Windows software (Sound Organizer 2) that comes with the device helps a lot because I can use its interface to move the cursor to anywhere before the track marks I set.
2) Battery powered
Don't like other models that come with built-in rechargeable battery because it means there will be down-time (cannot use it until it is fully charged) occasionally and service time (replace dead battery) eventually. With this model, if the batteries are dead or about to run out, all I need do is to carry two AAA eneloop rechargeable batteries with me.
3) Under $50
Won't hurt that much if I lose it later

This is exactly what i was looking for. Fast power-up, easy to use. Minimal buttons, which makes it easy to use while driving and never having to look at it. Couldn't be happier.

The bottom line: Very fast delivery for international purchase and amazing product for its price!

I bought this recorder on 22nd last month here on Amazon and had it send to Taiwan, where I live, using the cheapest Standard shipping method. The initial estimated time of delivery was 8th this month, but amazingly it delivered to my house on 31st last month, meaning it took less than 10 days to deliver and the item arrived at my place about a week earlier than the estimated delivery time, which is amazingly fast for international delivery and the fastest delivery I've ever had with any product I bought from Amazon so far. The package arrived safely and the product was intact and well protected.

The product itself met all my expectations and some more. In fact it's better than the price it asked for IMHO. I'm glad I didn't pay more for the higher-end and more expensive model. And I don't understand why some people complain about its size or lack of LED screen. For me they aren't problems at all. True it may not be as compact as some of sony's other more expensive models but it sure isn't bulky either. It's compact enough for me. Also the lack of LED screen doesn't bother me either because I don't use it in the dark anyway. Besides having LED screen would only drain the batteries more quickly and I definitely don't want that. The point is you get what you pay for. For me what's important is the features of the product, which it totally delivered. I love that the settings are highly adjustable so that it can meet all the different recording needs and scenarios. And the ability to extend its memory up to 32GB through microSD card comes in handy too, especially if you need to record in the highest quality format LPCM. Speaking of quality, I mostly use this recorder for lectures and language learning and the recording quality is crisp and clear (the noise cancellation feature helps a lot there), and far superior than recording with iPhone (obviously).

Overall I have nothing to complain about its functions and recording quality. My only gripes (if there's any) are: Firstly the sound quality of the built-in speakers are less than satisfactory. Fortunately I never use them and only listen to the recording files with my earphones, so it's not an issue for me. But if you plan to use them then don't expect too much. They are merely servicable at best. Secondly you can't recharge the device with its USB plug even if you have rechargable batteries inside. I pointed this out because I used to have an older model that could do that but this one doesn't have that function. But again it's only a slight inconvenience so I can live with it. Besides, like I said earlier, you get what you pay for.

All in all I was very happy with this recorder and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a quality recording device but doesn't want to spend a fortune and waste money on bells and whistles they don't need.

2019/4/2 UPDATE:
After more than 8 months of use, this recorder still works perfectly for me and I've also come to find that the build of the device is very robust because I've accidentally dropped it a few times from the desk or from my hand, yet there's barely a scratch. Although if I have to nitpick (other than what I've already mentioned above), I wish the recorder would allow the user to save their custom settings so they can easily switch among different ones depending on the situation. Also it takes a bit too much time to turn on the device. In normal circumstances this wouldn't be a problem but if you want to record something on the spot and you don't have it already turned on then it could be a bit annoying. But like I said, those are just my personal nitpicking and they don't affect my original review.

Seems to work pretty well. the recorded playback sound is a bit "tinny" but nothing to worry about. Seems clear, picks up every nearby sound, so if you are sitting nearby and comment, it will pick your sounds up better than the speaker. Does what I need it to do. Seems easy enough to operate.

I have used this recorder for paranormal investigating and to record conversations and it works very well. Very simple to use, very easy to upload files to a computer. The mic is very sensitive and picks up everything so it's great for EVPs/ghost hunting. I love it and would highly recommend this recorder.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Our Site