Tuesday, July 16, 2019

July 16, 2019 | Posted in by Daiki | No comments

AcuRite 01078 Wireless Weather Station with 2 Displays and 5-in-1 Weather Sensor: Temperature and Humidity Gauge, Rainfall, Wind Speed and Wind Direction

AcuRite 01078 Wireless Weather Station with 2 Displays and 5-in-1 Weather Sensor: Temperature and Humidity Gauge, Rainfall, Wind Speed and Wind Direction

I Have 2 AcuRite Weather Stations and a Davis weather station as well , I'm a Skywarn Spotter for the NWS and COCORAHS Member so I like having good quality Weather instruments , I've Had the AcuRite 01512 station for about a month now and this is a good quality weather station , Very accurate , The Barometer is right on with all my other weather instruments . The outdoor 5-in-1 sensor is easy to set up and I have it 150 ft from the station and Reception from sensor to station is 4 bars which is Excellent , Signal from sensor to station was acquired in less then 5 seconds . The rain gauge seems to be very accurate matching my other weather instruments . The display is easy to read from any angle, and it's back light makes it easy to read at anytime of the day or night , Personally I think the display has just the right of weather info on it and not too cluttered .The display is by far my favorite of any other weather station I have , The weather ticker is also very useful and very complete . I am very impressed with this product and I would recommend this weather station to anyone without hesitation !!!

I have always been fascinated with meteorology and having a personal weather station such as the AcuRite 1512 was too tempting to pass up. It arrived just as our last (I hope) snow storm arrived delayed my installing it, but had the benefit of forcing me to study the use and installation guides.
With improving weather today, I got down to putting it up. I had a good spot picked out on the upper member of a pergola, about 12 feet high, in our backyard, which met most of the criteria of a best location; away from metallic structures, walls, buildings, etc. Namely, as far out in the open as possible but staying within the 330 feet (100m) limit of the transmitter in the remote unit to contact the base station. (The National Weather Service recommends an ideal height of 33 feet above the ground!). The location was chosen with the periodic need to replace dead batteries with some convenience, so some compromise was required here.
The install was quick and easy. Less than 45 minutes for me, with some walking around getting a few tools, ladder, etc. The location from the remote unite to my base unit (wall mounted) is approximately 75 feet so the base unit is reporting receipt of a strong signal. The base unit is bright, colorful easy to set up and read. Unlike other owners, I have had no problem of viewing the unit. The unit is easy to read from all angles and up to a distance of 15 feet away.
So far, so good. As the unit requires two weeks to complete its "learning", becoming familiar with your altitude, and general environment, it will not provide detailed and site accurate weather reporting until this period is completed.
I will report back in a few months to share my experience with everyone.

EXCELLENT PRODUCT Very easy to install. It will work at about 20 feet with no problems. Remember if you put it up to high you will not get the same wind speed it is at your level on the ground. Rember you are not an airplane so you really don't need to be at 30 or 40 feet to get a good wind speed reading at least that is my thoughts on it.
All of the items work as they should, I have not had a chance to try out the rain as it has been very cold here in Nebraska.
The wind chill works correctly as well as the other features.
I would recommend this product to anyone wanting a nice weather station.
Additional testing with the unit is super. I am a Ham Radio operator and running a KW Transmitter with - 1000 watts of power only 50 feet away from the unit did not cause any problems I am happy to say. Another unit I tested by a different manufacturer was not good.

Bought this as a gift for my FIL because he loves to track the weather but the cheap monitors seemed to break every 6 months. He said that "he likes it" (which is great praise from him LOL) The display is very nice, bright with big numbers. The weather ticker(?) was easy to install and is accurate. Would recommend.

The AcuRite units are decent, low cost weather stations, where the main problem is with the aspirator fan and solar panel that powers the fan. Either the solar panel, or the fan, often fail, and then the unit overheats in the sun and gives wildly high temperature readings. It is March here in Maryland, and the base unit is telling me that the highest temperature recorded so far is 92 degrees (the actual high was about 76). Obviously, the fan wasn't working.

My first unit never worked right, the fan would not start up no matter how much sun hit the solar panel. If you opened the unit up, aimed it directly at the sun and gave the fan a push, it would spin slowly. I sent the first unit back for replacement at Amazon, and the second unit worked perfectly for a week. Then the fan stopped working on that unit. I was getting ready to send it back when I saw that Amazon had dropped the price by $40. We called, and got the $40 refund, which I used to buy the 06003RMA1 PRO+ Upgrade with dual solar panels that are tilted so that one gets the morning sun, and the other gets afternoon sun. I installed the dual panel upgrade, and now the 5-in-1 sensor is working great. I can't say how long the upgraded unit will work, but I will post an update if the dual panel aspirator fan unit fails.

Otherwise, the unit if nice. Construction is cheap, but the unit is very low cost compared with units like those from Davis. I really like the ability to adjust readings for temp, humidity, and rainfall so that if the readings are not correct, you can tweak them. As long as the unit keeps working, I am happy with it. I really didn't want to spend 350 to 600 dollars on a weather station. I highly recommend that if you are considering this unit, get the one with the two solar panels rather than the versions with one. This will give you much more accurate outdoor temperature readings when sun is hitting the sensor.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Dual digital displays allow you to observe your Weather data in multiple rooms
  • High-precision 5-in-1 wireless Weather sensor accurately measures the temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction and rain
  • Weather Ticker streams real-time data including the Moon phase, indoor comfort level,feels like temperature (wind Chill, heat index) and more
  • Illuminated color displays with adjustable dimmer; electric-powered with optional battery backup
  • Easy setup and mounting

Description

You need a reliable weather forecast to help you plan your day with confidence. And you want accurate, ambient weather information at-a-glance on multiple color weather station displays conveniently located in your home. The AcuRite pro 5-in-1 weather station with two displays and rain, wind, temperature and humidity is a professional weather station that includes our 5-in-1 weather sensor, and two (2) attractive, easy-to-read color displays that let you observe your weather data in multiple rooms. The weather station's illuminated color displays feature indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity, rainfall, wind speed, wind direction, wind Chill, weather forecast, heat index, dew point, barometric pressure, time and date. The displays stand upright for tabletop use or are wall-mountable. Thanks to innovative features like our patented Self-Calibrating technology, you enjoy dependable, personal forecasts of 12 to 24 hour weather conditions. Our exclusive weather Ticker is an area on the display that automatically streams feels like conditions inside and outside your home, high and low records and other real-time weather information. It's the best wireless weather station for active people like you who want the information they need so they can head out the door and tackle the day ahead. Includes mounting hardware and features a 2-year battery life for maintenance-free operation. Limited one-year warranty. It's more than accurate, it's AcuRite.



I got this installed about three days before Hurricane Maria came barreling through Florida. It was great seeing how much rain was actually falling. My partner calibrated the water gauge according to the instructions. We're in Space Coast Florida and we recorded 12" of rainfall during the hurricane. The highest wind peak we recorded was only 22mph but we're very protected with massive pine trees all around our property.

The indoor display is very bright and attractive. It lights up the whole kitchen at night. Several of our friends have looked at it and want one now.

It is 1/4th cost of our last weather station and does almost all the same things. Very happy with it.

This is my second AcuRite 5-in-1 weather station and I much prefer the display on this one over my older color display because the information is displayed in a more useful manner, particularly the lower center area. I've always found mine to be very accurate, and in line with much more expensive units in my area, including the local airport station not far away. I post my readings on a local stations Facebook page and they always enjoy the data they receive from me as well.

Easy to setup, easy to use and fun to know exactly what's going on at my area from anywhere I'm at (I also use the wireless Bridge, which is definitely worth it in my opinion).

The only downside I've found so far is that the display's backlight cannot shut off when powered by AC.

All in all I really enjoy these weather stations and hope to get many more years of use from them. They connect easily to Weather Underground, and the AcuLink app on Android and iOS is handy as well.

They do offer a replacement solar panel with 2 panels instead of one, this supposedly helps with peak times where the fan on the standard unit may not cool enough to counter the heat, at least that's my understanding. I haven't felt the need to upgrade at this time however, but if I do the cost is reasonable.

I have been a weather buff for as long as I can remember. I've had several Davis wired and wireless stations...I'm talking about the ones that had different sensors for the rain gauge, temp/humidity and wind...not this 5 in 1 stuff they have going now...which by the way I'm a huge fan of.

Pro's are that it is very easy to set up if you have a fence post available. I'm stuck with a vinyl fence so I looked to possible spots on my roof. After debating back and forth and visualizing my death from falling off the roof to change the batteries in the sensors, I settled on a more traditional solution and headed to a home store to pick up a 10' steel pole to stick in the ground and mount this to.

Once that was done, I oriented the sensor and solar panel to south, came in the house and plugged in the display unit. Within 60 seconds it was discovered and information was being displayed!

Let me be clear here...I love this device. But there are some things that AcuRite needs to consider to make it perfect:

Give it the capability to upload/save stats to the cloud out of the box. I refuse to pay another $80 + shipping for your internet bridge.
The display unit is NOT COLOR. The display is black LCD, with a color background of the various areas on the display unit.
The display unit is oriented as such, that while the large numbers are crisp to read while standing...the ticker isn't and you can see all of the unfilled LCD sections so I have to squat down to read it.

Don't get me wrong, I love this unit compared to what I've owned in the past. If this would have shipped with the internet capability included it would have been a 5 start unit from the start.

I am really happy with this purchase with a couple caveats. I am surprised that the daily min/max temperature is not shown on the display. The scrolling window at the bottom has 7 day, monthly and all time min/max, but no daily min/max, and you have no control over when or if those get displayed. This is a surprising omission. My previous Acu-Rite weather station cost about $25 and it has daily min and max temperature and humidity (no wind or precipitation data). Secondly, and this is my fault, I wish I'd noticed that another version with the internet bridge was available. I would have saved about $20 over buying those separately. The internet bridge makes this unit so much more useful, I strongly encourage getting it. You can access the info on your iPad or iPhone with the free Acu-Rite app. Daily min/max temperature is included. Even better you can make your unit a personal weather station on weather underground, where detailed statistics and graphs are available and done really well. So if you are looking at purchasing this one, I strongly encourage you to find the other item that includes the internet bridge and save yourself a little money.

This weather station from April 2018 till January 2019 had several issues with the Weather display showing issues with the voltage from the installed recommended batteries and the actual outside temperature. Several Tech Support Reps and Customer Service Reps had their own opinions during the several conversations I had with them . Finally fearing my warranty and patience was running out a Technical Support Rep who obviously had the better trouble shooting experience and aptitude agreed with my original diagnosis. The Temperature sensor on the Outside Monitor needed to be replaced. It has been 3 months and so far so good. Training needs to be addressed here as their were too many actual opinions and not facts being discussed and not acted on. I was very happy they stuck by me and finally resolved the issue. As a ex Customer Service person at National Grid USA who also ended his 33 year career as a Trainer for Heavy Duty equipment operators I have done decades of trouble shooting in electrical and mechanical applications;research and listening pays off people.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Our Site