Friday, July 12, 2019

July 12, 2019 | Posted in by Daiki | No comments

Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB Tablet (Gen 2), 7 Inches (Renewed)

Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB Tablet (Gen 2), 7 Inches (Renewed)

My latest "Certified Refurbished" device works as good as new, after 2 1/2 months of heavy use. Now, September 2017, I am still waiting for Google's next tablet to replace this last Nexus 7 Gen 2 2013 version, hoping for a newer clean Android device..Until that happens, I will continue to buy refurbished Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB Gen 2 tablets if I need to replace a tablet due to a cracked screen or worn-out USB charge port.

I use a Podfob neck strap so that the tablet is in its most useful position: easily reachable and difficult to lose, rather than buried in a protective sleeve. Its wireless Qi charging reduces wear-and-tear on the USB port. The 7-inch size is perfect.for air travel or any kind of travel when on a neck strap. It's light enough for bedtime reading. I hope Google's next tablet also comes in a 7-inch version, or maybe the same physical size with less bezel. If Google decides all tablets must be larger and heavier, like what's happened to smart phones, I might still continue to buy these 2013 refurbished 7-inchers for years to come.

Pro's :Tablet itself arrived in good shape. No scratches. Immediately updated to the latest version of Android and then downloaded my apps. Responsive and no lagging. Am going to use this as a "carputer" and have connected it to my wifi hotspot already as well as my phones hotspot. Also paired to my bluetooth enabled radio for music / route guidance / etc.

Con's : Tablet comes with no documentation. Just wrapped in bubble wrap inside a box. Hey.. it's refurbed,what do you expect?
Wall charger provided was from ZTE and puts out only 700 MaH, not enough to charge the unit while using it. though it will charge the unit while it is off, tho slowly.
Cable provided was adequate,generic made in China.

Overall not a bad deal but be prepared to upgrade your wall charger and cable

I don't like how the description claims "little to no wear" but yet this much coveted 2013 Nexus 7 (2nd gen) came out of a generic box looking like this (see pics).

The screen is extremely scratched (who treats their devices like this anyway? I don't get it!) and the back of the Nexus has light scratches as well.

Not only is the screen extremely scratched (with a couple really deep gouges that my fingernail actually grabs) but the digitizer itself appears to have water damage in it down both sides (see pic).

I've bought a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet (refurbished), an Asus Zenpad 3S10 (refurbished), an Ipad Air 2 (refurbished), and a Nexus 5 (refurbished) and every single one of them were practically brand new in appearance and function.

This 2013 Nexus 7 is NOT refurbished, it is USED! Thumbs down for the seller for purporting this as refurbished!

However, I have always wanted a 2013 Nexus 7. I bought the original 2012 Nexus 7 when it first came out and I fell in love with it. Subsequently my love affair with Nexus devices began following up with 2 Nexus 5's, a Nexus 10 and a Nexus 6.

With all of that said, the seller is fortunate that 1. It's a pain in the bum to return things, 2. This tablet actually works very well despite the glaring cosmetic damage and 3. I'm star stuck that I finally have the most coveted Nexus device and for only $68! For those reasons, I still give this device 4 stars - at least until it dies on me. The seller only gets 2 stars from me. It would only be one star but the tablet got here quickly, so I'm giving them 2 stars.

Finally, after it arrived it was completely discharged. It was so discharged that after having it on a turbo charger for 15 minutes, the notification light would only flash 5 times but it still wouldn't turn on when pressing the power button.

Only after leaving on the turbo charger for 45 minutes and then pressing AND holding the power button for like 20 - 30 seconds, did it finally power up.

That was a relief because I was beginning to think that it was bricked!

Upon powering up, it was only on Lollipop. It went through 2 large updates and 2 or 3 incremental updates before finally settling in at Marshmallow 6.0.1.

All in all, I still feel that if this tablet meets your form factor then it is still a relevant tablet even in 2019. I just feel it's that good due to its snappiness, light weight and bright screen.

Speaker attenuation is very low despite having speakers at the top and bottom. However, I reason that if the low volume ever began to annoy me, then I would just root the tablet and install Viper4Android. As it is, because it's still so snappy, I will leave it stock.

For now.

This is actually my third refurbished tablet. I bought one, and gave it to my husband, bought a second (from a different vendor) that had power issues and had to return, and bought my third from this vendor. I am completely happy with the tablet and price. I love the size which is bigger than a phone and less than a full tablet. During my recent travel overseas it was easily transportable, and that was the reason I bought it. It's a wifi only tablet, but you can find wifi just about everywhere easily. I didn't want to pay for SAT-NAV in my rental car at a ridiculous price, so I used this device's location sensor which I assume used satellite...since I did not have wifi in the car! Tablet worked great for everything I needed on my trip, and love carrying it around at home rather than sitting at laptop or desktop. I would definitely buy again.

I am glad I bought this! Works great, looks new. Didn't have any scratches or any indication of it being used. The Nexus 7 is still a great tablet. If you are used to today's tech, then the only draw back would be the big bezels. but that just gives you room to put your fingers!! I bought this to put in my car as a "carputer." The built in GPS seems to work better than my phone GPS, and the nexus doesn't need Internet to use it!


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 7-inch tablet screen, 1200x1920 (323 ppi), LED-backlit IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
  • Powerful 3950 mAh battery, 10 hours, 15Wh Li-polymer Battery
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 8064 Quad-Core, 1.5 GHz
  • Memory: 2GB, 1.2 MP Front Camera, 5 MP Rear Camera, Auto focus (rear), Large f2.4 aperture. (rear camera)

Description

Size:16GB Google Nexus 7 (7-Inch, 16 GB, Black) by ASUS 2013 2nd Generation (Certified Refurbished). Black; Touch Screen; 7" WUXGA (19201200), 400 nits, LED backlight IPS panel with Corning Fit Glass; Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 8064 1.5GHz, L2 2MB, Quad-Core; 2GB DDR3LM-1066; Adreno 320, 400MHz; 16GB Flash; No Optical Drive; Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean); 802.11ABGN; 1.2 Mega Pixel & 5.0 Mega Pixel Webcams; Bluetooth 4.0; 15Wh, 3950mAh, non-removable polymer battery (10 hours)



This is an awesome tablet -- imo the best 7-inch class Android tablet there's ever been. It's thin and light weight, has excellent touch-screen responsiveness, resolution, and brightness, and is equipped with 16GB of flash and a very important (and rare, for 7-inch tablets) 2GB of RAM. The "Amazon Certified Refurbished" Nexus 7 works quite well with its pre-installed Android v6.0.1 ("marshmallow") OS, but it's important to realize that Google is no longer providing Android OS updates for the Nexus 7. However, you can keep the tablet's apps updated from the Google Play store.

In my case, I immediately installed the latest LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2 aka nougat) on it, and as a result I'm receiving Google's monthly Android security updates and other OS enhancements that ripple through to the community-supported LineageOS Nexus 7 builds. So my Nexus 7 is running the latest Android code along with the most recent security patches released by Google. (PLEASE NOTE: Although the steps required to install LineageOS are well documented, and relatively easy, it's not a process that everyone should attempt, due to the fact that if something unexpected occurs you can end up with a nonworking tablet.)

Purchased to use as a monitor for my DJI Mavic Pro drone. Decent weight, bright screen, decent battery life. Fits in the Mavic controller with no modifications, but I purchased a tablet mount that I plan to use anyway. Removed all unnecessary apps, and loaded DJI Go 4 and Airmap. My tablet came running Android 6.0. Just what I was looking for ! Couldn't ask for better for the price ! Thanks much !

I was very sad when the Nexus 7 tablets were discontinued. I'm thrilled to be able to purchase this refurbished tablet for such a bargain price. It performs like a brand new tablet and is a heck of a bargain. My only complaint is that the wall charger it came with is not exactly a fast charger, but I feel like at this point most of us likely have USB hubs which put out 2.4 amps or so, or at least have chargers lying around which do the same. This is a bargain for a really excellent-performing tablet!

This replaces a 2-year-old Nexus 7 tablet I have that the "when device is rotated, rotate contents of the screen" function had stopped working on. When I wanted to switch it from portrait to landscape mode, I had to open an app that only worked in landscape, essentially forcing it into landscape. I used that tablet daily for two years, so I guess it's to be expected. A first world problem, surely, but when a replacement can be had inexpensively, that tablet has now become my backup.

This is the third one of these we have bought. This one is going to be just for our van. While we use it mostly for gaming, GPS, & video, it does has it pro/cons. It has a beautiful 1200x1920 screen, fast processor, takes great pictures, & has QI charging plus many affordable accessories. The down side, it will only update to Android 6.01 Marshmallow, so if you need it to run the latest and the greatest, this might not be for you. And there is no expandable memory. :( Bottom line, a little older technology that still great for middle of the road use. Does what we need it to.

This is a fun tablet that we bought to become familiar with Android. The touch screen doesn't work that well with larger fingers, but my kids seem to have no issues using it. Considering the age of the device and the technology, it performs better than expected in terms of speed and its ability to handle the current available apps. If the touch screen worked better with adult fingers I would give this 5 stars.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Our Site