Thursday, October 24, 2019

October 24, 2019 | Posted in by Daiki | No comments

Doxie Q - Wireless Rechargeable Document Scanner with Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)

Doxie Q - Wireless Rechargeable Document Scanner with Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)

I love this thing! I am currently in the process of going paperless and this is just what I was looking for. I am not computer illiterate, but am certainly not great at setting up new technology. I usually rely on my husband to help me set up and show me how to use new things. I was able to pull this out of the box, set it up and start using it right away.

I have a MacBook Pro and this works seamlessly with it. The software that it comes with is simple, yet effective. I have been able to scan things while watching TV, transfer wirelessly, organize on the software and transfer to my Mac or an external hard drive. All without asking for my husband's help!!

I have not tried scanning photos with this yet & will update when I do, but as far as papers are concerned, this thing is top notch. Small, lightweight, easy to set up and use.

You won't regret this if you're looking to go paperless!!

Ive been a scansnap user for 8-9 years now. Scansnap has been neglecting their mac drivers for years (they never bothered to sign their drivers to begin with - seriously questionable quality thats only grown worse over time.)

My initial experience with Doxie was positive but the change in my workflow was challenging at first mainly due to the indirect scanning model. With scansnap you use the scanner as a device firmly attached to your operating system and scan directly into an application. With doxie you are scanning into a memory card on the doxie then downloading your scans after the fact. Since I OCR all my documents this was an extra step in my flow and frustrating at first.

But then i started scanning docs without getting my computer out and downloading/ocring the docs at a later date. This change has been a revelation! Im no longer faced with a huge pile of mail to scan that I put off out of laziness. Now i just snag the doxie, send the docs through it quickly and put it away. Every few weeks Ill turn the wifi on and download the docs to my mac and ocr them. This has turned out to be a far more efficient strategy to get through a task that I constantly procrastinated on.

Im leaving with 4 stars due to some small software issues that Ive discussed with doxie and will hopefully be resolved shortly (when Ill update to a 5 star I hope!) Nothing major just a couple of tiny user interface things in their app like showing the progress of the ocr process and streamlining the function buttons on the window chrome.

Overall Im extremely pleased with this device as a critical piece of my paperless workflow at home. Ill be giving these out for gifts this holiday season (ssssshhhhh) and expect my family will enjoy using doxie as much as I am!

Update to my Previous review. Doxie contacted me and took immediate steps to correct the issues I had with one of my Doxie scanners by sending a replacement, which I received just two days after. I must say I'm impressed with the level of customer service. Their turn around was quick and I now have a fully working scanner. I believe the issue I had with the scanner was an isolated issue considering that we have bought multiple scanners for our office and only this one had an issue after almost a year of use. Nonetheless, Doxie came around and replaced the item no questions asked. I'm very satisfies and happy to have a Doxie scanner again. These scanners make scanning a lot easier and the memory card makes portability and convenience that much better. I really recommend this scanner to anyone looking for space saving on their desk (scanners are very slim and look great too), for portability, and easy of use.

I bought 4 of these scanners for my office about a year ago and have been very happy, to the point where I've order a few more since the original purchase. However, I'm giving it three stars since the one scanner I kept for me (the other ones were for my colleagues) stopped working about a week ago. Upon inspection I notice that it was because the scanner's USB mini port broke inside and I'm unable to connect it to charge it. The scanner had been charging before but it had stopped transferring files to the computer when plugged in directly. I had to transfer files by inserting the memory card into my computer. I was ok with that but now it can't charge it either. I don't understand how the connector inside the unit can break like that. I've never had this happened to any other device. Now I need to find another portable scanner for me and other people in our firm since I no longer trust this one.

Love Doxie. Very easy to use once you take the time to learn how to use it correctly, and it's easy to learn with the online resources and the quick-start instructions that accompany the product. I spent about three hours scanning in all of my documents and organizing them so I can finally get rid of them, which is really no time lost compared to how many documents I actually had. Doxie is quite small, compact, and easy to set-up and put away; I feel like this is so refreshing and convenient when it comes to usual bulky scanners. I was also very impressed by how it takes stacks of papers— I rarely had problems with it eating more than one sheet at a time (this only happened occasionally if the papers had thick folds and were creased). My only qualms are that Doxie takes a bit of time to get recognized by my computer via WiFi and that WiFi drains the battery really quickly, so a lot of times I was turning Doxie off and back on while scanning and organizing my things. Overall, I'm really satisfied and highly recommend Doxie to anyone looking to go paperless in a way that's quick and convenient.

Original review: Odd interface. You have to enable the WiFi every time you turn the thing on. Power button on the side is kinda goofy, no clear on/off state - it just kinda slides around. Slow to import documents since it has to reestablish the WiFi connection. feed mechanism is surprisingly hard to usei with standard letter paper - it's to narrow, you have to jimmy it around. Would not buy again.

UPDATE 5/2/17: After posting the review above, I received an email from Apparent responding and offering a replacement unit. I was very impressed with the customer service and realized that some of the issues I identified are known issues (e.g. power switch). I added a star for the great customer service and am willing to give this another chance.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 【Automatic, Rechargeable, and Truly Portable】Doxie Q is the automatic document scanner reinvented for true mobility to let you scan anywhere - no computer required - with a rechargeable battery, collapsible automatic document feeder, included memory, integrated Wi-Fi, and included Mac, PC, and iOS apps. Doxie's small size makes it easy to tuck it in your bag or a drawer when you're done scanning.
  • 【Always Simple】Engineered for ultimate simplicity, Doxie just works - no special drivers needed - simply flip Doxie open, insert your paper, and hit scan. Doxie's automatic paper feeder scans stacks of up to 8 full color pages at once at up to 600 dpi. Or, use Doxie's direct feed slot to scan all your photos, receipts, cards, and fragile items.
  • 【Amazing Software and OCR】Doxie makes it easy (and fun!) to go paperless. Doxie's included Mac and PC apps let you sync scans via USB or Wi-Fi to your desktop to organize and create searchable multi-page PDFs with award-winning ABBYY OCR technology. Save scans to your desktop, local apps, or your favorite cloud services - like Dropbox, Evernote, OneNote, and iCloud Drive. Or, sync scans to your iPhone or iPad with Doxie's iOS app to save and share your scans wherever you are.
  • 【Satisfaction Guaranteed】Doxie Customer Care is always here to help you scan, organize, or just provide tips on the best ways to scan your paper. We guarantee you'll love your new Doxie as much as we loved building it, and back our products with a 1-year warranty and the best support in the scanner industry. Contact us anytime - hello@getdoxie.com

Description

Go seriously paperless with Doxie Q

The clever new wireless rechargeable scanner that flips open to scan stacks of paper in a flash. Get all the power of a big desktop scanner with the flexibility of being able to scan anywhere. Doxie's lightweight design and included apps makes going paperless easy, for big stacks and small.

For all your paper

Doxie Q features a simplex Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) that turns your documents into multi-page, searchable PDFs. If you have double-sided documents, simply flip the stack over and scan the other side. Doxie's app makes it easy to interleave the two sides with a single click.

How to set up and scan

It's easy to get started once you get Doxie Q - activate the battery with the tab under the battery door, charge Doxie for the first time, then turn on Doxie and start scanning. See the Quick Start Guide in the box and the help site at getdoxie.com/support for more information. For regular plain paper sheets and stacks, open Doxie's Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), insert paper face down, and use the paper guides. For photos, narrow receipts, cards, and fragile items, use Doxie's Direct Feed slot on the back. Questions? We're always here for you at help@getdoxie.com.

What you get with Doxie Q

Doxie Q mobile scanner with simplex automatic document feeder (ADF), built-in Wi-Fi, 8 GB SD memory card, rechargeable battery, USB cable, worldwide power adapter, accessory kit, desktop and iOS apps, and unparalleled customer care.



This thing is as simple as can be. I almost gave it a 5, but it has regular problems pulling a stack of papers through. It is supposed to be able to handle 8 pages, but it regularly pulls 2 through at a time when I give it a stack (even if it is only 4 or 5 sheets). I just send through one at a time. It is much faster than I expected. The output is excellent, and I can edit the output in the Doxie Q program. It scans to an SD-card. I just plug the card into the computer, open Doxie Q, name the sheets, then save them in appropriate files. It gives me PDF or JPG. I may be able to get other formats, but those are the two I use. The best part is that the scan is fast and high quality.

Update: I was contacted by Doxie. They offered me a replacement if mine wasn't pulling sheets through properly. The rep told me to check the thicknesses of the paper. The differences was only 20 lb. vs. 24 lb., but when I separated the papers by thickness, they pulled through just fine. Fair enough, I am going to up my review to 5 stars.

It's small, lightweight, portable, and you can expand the memory with standard SD cards.

The main reason I haven't gone paperless in the past is the hassle of scanning receipts and documents on a flatbed scanner, and the poor quality of taking pictures with my phone. Enter the Doxie. It's very portable, folds up small, and you don't need to have it attached to a computer to scan. Sit down on your couch with a handful of receipts and go to work, then download the scans at a later date.

Has great scan quality, color and B&W, and limited but good resolution settings. Highly recommended.

I recently upgraded from a Doxie Go (original) to the Doxie Q. The main selling point to me was the document feeder and WiFi connectivity. The Go was a great little scanner, but it was near impossible to scan a document without it being crooked. The Q fixes this problem by having a feeder as well as plastic document guides. So far I really like the Q. It’s a bit larger than the Go, but still portable. Scan quality is good and works great with Doxie’s excellent desktop app. Overall this is a great scanner for Mac (and PC) users. The Doxie software is really great and I’ve always had a good experience with Doxie as a company.

Wifi--
Even though the Q is WiFi-enabled, it is not turned on by default and it does not stay enabled when you power off. So every time you power on you have to enable WiFi when you are ready to import. Another annoyance is that, by default, the Q sets itself up as it’s own WiFi network instead of connecting to an existing network. This means in order to import you must switch your Mac (or PC) to Doxie's WiFi network. I finally discovered that you can actually change this and put the scanner on an existing WiFi network instead. I don’t recall seeing this in the documentation, but in the Doxie desktop app go into Preferences, select the Q, and hit configure. This will bring up a web page allowing you to select an existing WiFi network.

Screen and controls--
The text on this screen is so small and unreadable that it makes me wonder why Doxie even bothered to include it. They would have been better off with more LED indicators. Also there is a DPI button but clicking on it beeps at you because Doxie only offers 300 DPI (unfortunately).

Scanning-
The document feeder is a great addition, but I’ve found it frequently has difficulty grabbing the paper unless you really have it aligned tight against the back edge. Folded pages are especially problematic for the feeder. You also need to place documents face down, which I don’t recall being explained in the documentation. Also if you scan a stack of documents at once know that Doxie assumes that every page is part of the same document and automatically groups them together in one PDF. So only use the document feeder for multiple pages if they belong together. This is also a problem when scanning double-sided documents since Doxie cannot scan both sides at once. So it will group all of one side as a single PDF, then group all of the other side as a PDF.

I've been using the Doxie Q for about a month now and I'm quite happy with it. I love the portability. Battery life has been excellent. I haven't worked it very hard, but I've used it several days in a row without charging. Scan quality has been adequate for my needs, in fact, I've typically left it at the 300 DPI setting. I've mostly been scanning paper documents. I usually transfer scans to my laptop using the SD card, which works well, and the software is easy to use. A few times I've transferred to my cell phone using the WiFi connection. It works okay. The WiFi interface is a little clunky, but functional once you figure it out. Sometimes feeding paper in takes a little coaxing to get it to the rollers. My large fingers occasionally have trouble with the DPI and Scan buttons. I find I accidentally hit the DPI button when I mean to hit Scan, and vice versa. Not a huge problem, but it would help me if the buttons were spaced apart a little more. But overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

*I am amending this review because of the companies willingness to work with their customer. They contacted me after this post and made it very clear that they wanted to make this right. I have to admit I was very surprised with the response from this company The support has been great. I am currently working with them on this issue and will update this when finished.

**I have received more help from this company than any other company I have worked with. I can't say enough about their support. They are very courteous and helpful. I can't say enough about their support. They read what your questions are and then reply back with competent answers. I am very happy I purchased this scanner from them.

Original review
I have used the Doxie Q for a week. Some advantages of this scanner are that it scans quickly and keeps images square. It also scans documents very well and quick. If you are scanning in old pictures that are well lit, the scanner works well. BUT I wanted to make sure that people knew of a drawback on this scanner. If you have pictures that they have dark areas you may find that the dark area loses some detail. I have asked support for help. I also wonder if being able to scan at a higher resolution would help. The software is simple to use, but when trying to move the slider to adjust contrast or brightness it is hard to adjust it one number at a time. The simple solution would be to allow people to type numbers in instead of only using the slider. If you are scanning pictures only and the pictures are dark or shaded I would recommend another product of theirs. It is called the Doxie Flip. Same great company.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Our Site