Wednesday, July 10, 2019

July 10, 2019 | Posted in by Daiki | No comments

Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, White (HDTC920XW3AA)

Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, White (HDTC920XW3AA)

I purchased this to backup my MacBook. The description didn't say much about being used as a backup for Macs, but I decided to purchase it anyways. I plugged it in and the MacBook automatically formatted it and started the backup process. I am very impressed how fast it backed up my computer. It's also nice and small.

One word that describes it - "Reliable". This is my preferred brand of external hard drive. It comes well packed and is easy to setup...just plug and play. I also like the fact that it does not heat up when you are transferring data between the Hard Drive and your laptop or computer. Having USB 3.0 helps as data transfer is faster.

It also comes with a backup software (NTI) which is simply crappy :), especially the scheduler. Sorry Toshiba..hey but that's a free Software and I didn't buy your hard drive knowing that you have this free Software included. Even if you don't provide the software, your hard drive is still the best.
Don't get me wrong people, if you are not very organized (don't file your documents, pictures systematically), this Software will be helpful. On the other hand if you are very organized, you know exactly what to backup and it will be quick without the software.

Another thing is the life of the drive. It should last for many years but you need to make sure you don't abuse it and keep it in a reliable case.
Also, make sure that it is not the only source of your backup. I keep two back-ups of my critical data.

I have posted the unboxing video for this harddrive and case for this harddrive.
You can look for the following on youtube: "Unboxing & Usage of Toshiba Canvio Connect II & Amazonbasics external hard drive case".

Thanks!
1DoctorGenius

I have owned this drive for 1 week. I am impressed with how cool it runs; it does not get hot like my older 2010 model external hdds. I am also impressed with how lightweight it is, and I also like the shape of it and that it is pretty small. It's also nice that it is plug and play and does not require a separate power source. I glanced at the NTI backup software and the PogoPlay cloud data access software but did not use it yet since Windows backup handles my backup needs and plugging the drive into the usb port on my router handles my cloud data access needs. To note, the user interface of the NTI backup software is nice looking and easy to use. When I used the drive to take a system image of my mom's new laptop, the data transfer rate was averaging ~110MBps since her laptop has usb 3.0 capability. At home I only have usb 2.0 so my speeds are just ~10MBps which is to be expected. The light on it is white and blinks during data transfer, but it is not intrusive or anoying at all in my opinion. I like this drive a lot and am probably going to buy 1 or 2 more. The Amazon Basics external hard drive case I got with it as a free gift is also awesome. Here is the link for that: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-External-Hard-Drive-Case/dp/B00F5CKWBA

I will update this review in the future if any cons arise.

I purchased this portable hard drive to replace an old desktop external hard drive which used an external power supply which I wanted to get rid of. This hard drive is way smaller than the other external hard drive that I was using before this one which is what I wanted. It came with an extremely short USB 3.0 cable which I did not like because it is too short for my needs as I am using this external hard drive to backup my desktop computer. Since the length of the USB cable did not suit my needs, I just use my USB cable from my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone and it works just as well.

This hard drive comes with NTI Backup Now EZ 4 which allows you to create a complete system backup as well as a file and folders backup jobs. The included backup software works well but there is one caveat which I have come across. When making a files and folder backup which include files with a file extension that the software does not have listed in its list of file extensions for different file types, the backup will not include the files that have an extension that is not listed in the list of file extensions for the different file types. I had 22 pictures of which 10 have an extension of .jpg and the other 12 had the extension of .jpeg. Since the extension .jpeg was not in the list of file extensions for picture files, my pictures which had have the extension of .jpeg did not get backed up. Fortunately, I was able to discover this and the solution is simple. The solution is to add the extensions to the list of file extensions that are not in the list. Doing so will get the files backed up. You can also use any other backup software you chose as you are not limited to using the backup software it comes with.

I bought this simply to backup years worth of photos and video so that it could stored in a different area in the event my computer failed, and for those massive video files that are way too large to upload. I am very happy with the one terabyte version I bought for $53. Keep in mind that it does not have a power supply and runs solely off of the USB port. On my computer using USB 3 it transfers at about 25 megabytes per second. It comes with that unusual USB connection that was used for the Samsung Galaxy S5 but I found it also can use a standard micro USB cable although at a slower transfer rate. Luckily I used to own a Samsung S5 so I have several of those unusual cables left that are USB 3 compliant. For what I need and the price you can't go wrong. Unlike other people who have reviewed this product I had no problem plugging it in and having Windows 10 recognize it immediately allowing me simply to drag files onto this little hard drive.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Compact design with four vibrant color options to fit your lifestyle
  • Up to 3TB of storage capacity to store your growing files and content
  • Toshiba Storage Backup Software (downloadable) to easily back up your content and schedule your backup to run automatically
  • Toshiba Storage Security Software (downloadable) to help prevent unauthorized access to your data with a password lock feature
  • Includes Toshiba 2-year standard limited warranty

Description

The Canvio Advance portable hard drive allows creators to do what they do best–anywhere their lives take them–offering high storage capacity, 24/7 access to your stored content and the time-tested reliable performance they need. Whenever and wherever creativity strikes, Canvio Advance offers the space to create. The Toshiba Canvio Advance provides up to 3TB of storage so you can store thousands of pictures, videos, music, or a variety of large files on a small 2.5" portable drive. The new Toshiba Canvio Advance features a minimalist design as well as clean edges, a sleek, high-gloss surface, and color options to inspire you–it's your life, your style, your speed. Keep your files safe and secure with features such as password protection and scheduled backup. Work at the speed of inspiration with the lightning fast transfer speeds of Canvio Advance. With USB 3.0 you'll be able to transfer and backup files on the go while powering the drive through your laptop's USB connection. These new durable external hard drives are built to Toshiba's world-class quality standards and backed by a standard 2-year warranty, so you can feel confident to create wherever inspiration moves you. Access all of your stored content with peace of mind from the Canvio Advance portable hard drive.



I bought this device specifically for the Xbox one.

Two things to know about this device when using it with the Xbox one. When using the hard drive for the first time, make sure you have your Xbox one turned on first and that you are logged on to your account. If you have the hard drive plugged in when turning on the Xbox one (for the first time), it will not recognize the drive. It didn't work for me. After 10 minutes of useless research and cursing, I was about to pack it up and send it back to Amazon. So I decided one last try..... I unplugged it, turned on my Xbox one, logged into my account and then I plugged the hard drive in and VICTORY! The XB1 recognized the drive and two quick clicks later, it was ready to go.

Second, after moving 12 games over to the hard drive, I turned off the XB1. Next day when I turned on my XB1 with the hard drive still plugged in, there was nothing on my hard drive (external). It showed that I had items saved onto the drive but, I could not see any games. First thought, another worthless hard drive! But, before I threw it against the wall (not really) I unplugged hard drive and plugged it back into the XB1 and everything was there. So, ever since this issue, I have unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in after turning on the XB1. Maybe I had a glitch but, up to you.

Moving along now....

I bought mine for $81 (brand new) from Amazon. I was lucky. Right now, it is going for $119. It says 2GB but, after I formatted it for the XB1 and ran it for the first time, it has 1.8TB for actual use. Its power source is the device it is plugged in too. It appears to be sturdy and well made. I like the tiny little cushions on the bottom of the hard drive that prevents it from sliding around. It comes with a 3.0 usb type-A/micro type-b cable. This cable is SHORT and very thin. The end that goes into the hard drive, in my opinion, is a little unstable for me (it felt like it would come out it you it around). There is a solution for this issue but, you will have to pay extra cash. After doing much research on portable hard drives, a lot of folks have had this issue (not only on Amazon but, elsewhere). So, I bought a two-pack, from Cable Matters, of 3.0 usb type-A/micro-b cables. They are 3 feet long, THICKER and they fit into the hard drive and XB1 like they SHOULD be, SNUG. This will save you time. Why? Because you will end up talking to the Toshiba and requesting for another cable. In my opinion.

Games being moved from the internal hard drive to the external hard drive will vary in the time it takes to move it. The largest game moved was 48.8 GB and it took just under 14 minutes. Moving games back is slightly faster. As for playing games from the external hard drive, there might be a quicker load time as compared to the internal drive but, as far as I am concerned, it works. The only thing I have not done is to download a game from Microsoft directly onto my external drive. I haven't set up that option yet. Last thing when it comes to downloads, transfers, etc. I downloaded Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (free) and it took 3 hours. Transfer to the external from the internal took 7 minutes plus.

My rating it 4 may or may not change over the course of this device. No electronic device gets a 5-star or a 1-star rating. 5-star, to me, means that it is perfect, no such thing. 1-star means it dies tomorrow or within a year.

Overall, great, for now as it pertains to the XB1. The company says it is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1. Well, Windows 10 is about to be released and I will wait before I buy an external hard drive as a back-up. This is a very, very quite external hard drive, simple as that. You want noise? The power source for XB1 is louder, HOURS after it has not been in use. Go figure. As of now, it is a great external hard drive for the XB1 (minus the cable. Trust me, buy the cable I mentioned earlier or something similar. A great or good sturdy cable makes all the difference in the world).

Last words, my review will change if the drive has issues. I don't plan on moving mine around unless it is to be cleaned. I also, DO NOT, work for Toshiba, Amazon, Microsoft, Cable Matters, any blog site, etc. I am just a consumer who was looking for an external hard drive for my XB1. I DO NOT KNOW how this device will work on a laptop, computer, PS4 or mobile phone. That will be up to you.

PS - I have owned this item for less then a week and it was bought through Amazon.

PSS - Just because a device says 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, etc. IT DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS THAT AMOUNT OF SPACE AVAILABLE! Why? Software that comes with the device. This is for the folks who always have this complaint..... Avoid this issue and RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING!

For three years, a Toshiba portable HD was used for my files. I pulled it "in and out" of my bag, connecting and un-connecting it six times a day. I replaced the cords after they became frazzled. It was a workhorse until recently, when I detached the cord from the base and the metal connectors slid out from the base. This was a warning even though it still worked but I needed to more gently work with it. These little hints of mechanical vulnerability need to be listened to. So, I bought the new Toshiba 1 TB; it is noticeably faster accessing my data, smaller, lighter and more compact than the original. The price was right as well.

November 2017 Update: Be careful with the cable on these HDs as they are delicate and can go bad. They are the first to go, get a back up cable which on Amazon are sturdier than the original.

Simple, portable external hard drive perfect for saving files/pictures/movies in a separate, but convenient location. The included USB cable connects easily to any desktop or laptop for saving and playback and won't clog up or slow down your device. This device doesn't come with any extra messy software or applications like some similar products, and is as easy as saving files to/from any other folder on your computer. Device is ready to use as is, and has been perfect for storing movies and TV shows for watching across multiple computers or TVs with a USB input. The 1TB size accommodates about a dozen full length movies and close to 100 hour-long tv shows.

I still can't believe how inexpensive 2 terabyte drives are nowadays. And this one is good - easy to set up, reliable, and whisper-quiet. Two added benefits for MacOS users like myself. 1) it comes preformatted for Windows machines, but formatting it for Mac is very easy if that's what you want; I did that because I've set it up as my new Time Machine backup drive. 2) if you want to keep the drive set for NTFS formatting so you can bring it to a Windows machine as needed, Toshiba includes a free license for Paragon's NTFS driver for Mac so your Mac can read and write to the drive in its original formatting. Granted, that license is limited to Toshiba drives, but Paragon's NTFS for Mac is a fabulously effective and reliable driver that normally sells for $20, so getting it for free is wonderful even if just for this drive.

I bought this hard drive to back up my Windows 7 laptop and do a factory reset because it was having some issues.
It amazes me how much files this thing can hold. I have stored thousands of pictures, songs, videos, college homework, etc.

Below I will list some pros and cons I found while using this hard drive:

Pros
-Small
-I will have enough memory for years and years of pictures and documents.
-Easy to operate just like a regular USB flash drive.
-Great for backing up your files
-Works with Windows 7, 8 & 10 (only three systems I've tried it on)

Cons
-Haven't found any problems with the product but will gladly update my review if I do.

Overall, I recommend this product to anyone looking for a hard drive. It's a good idea to keep a backup of your memories and important documents in case your computer ever breaks.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Our Site